For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 tablespoons Innocent Spirits Distillery Soprano Gin
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
For the Lemon Curd Filling:
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Lavender Infusion:
- 1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender
1. Prepare the Crust:
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cold cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle in the Soprano Gin and 2 tablespoons of ice water. Pulse until the dough comes together. If needed, add another tablespoon of ice water.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until it forms a smooth ball.
- Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Prebake the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface to fit a tart pan. Press the dough into the pan, trimming any excess.
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then remove the parchment and weights. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool while you prepare the filling.
3. Prepare the Lemon Curd Filling:
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and eggs.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (double boiler) and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the melted butter until smooth.
- Strain the curd through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl to remove any zest or egg solids.
4. Infuse with Lavender:
- Place the dried culinary lavender in a small heatproof bowl.
- Heat the Soprano Gin until warm, then pour it over the lavender.
- Let the mixture steep for about 10 minutes, then strain out the lavender.
5. Assemble the Tart:
- Pour the lavender-infused Soprano Gin into the lemon curd and whisk to combine.
- Pour the lemon curd filling into the prebaked tart shell.
- Refrigerate the tart for at least 2 hours to set.
6. Serve and Enjoy:
- Once set, slice the Lavender and Lemon Gin Tart into portions.
- Serve the tart on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream for added indulgence.
Note: The lavender infusion is optional, but it adds a delicate floral note to the tart that complements the lemon and gin flavours. Adjust the amount of lavender to your preference.
Indulge in the delightful combination of citrusy lemon, aromatic lavender, and the subtle essence of Innocent Spirits Distillery Soprano Gin. This Lavender and Lemon Gin Tart is a dessert experience that transcends expectations.